Monday, February 20, 2012

Dear Alex...


I knew about you before I met you. Your high school instructor knew I worked at RYH and though I was a second cook he proceeded for thirty minutes to describe to me this kid, this high- energy kid that blew everyone away in the kitchen. I remembered your name clearly from that point on because I was already jealous.

You came to the hotel and immediately set yourself apart, not just from the other apprentices but from some full journeymen as well. By your third year, I couldn’t keep up. Your energy, passion, and enthusiasm in the kitchen propelled you beyond what we could offer and by the time it was your turn to leave, we were all better to have been in your wake.

I am so glad to have spent the time with you in the kitchen that I did. I can say you were the best I ever saw come in and will try to carry even a partial semblance of the motivation and quality you brought to your game daily.

I was in the kitchen with your friends and former colleagues when we learned of your passing. It was as if an invisible black hole was close enough to have sucked any energy out of the hotel. You are so missed.

I can only sit here, go over pictures of you at your best and remember what you taught those of us who were lucky to have served with you in the RYH kitchen.

God bless Brother and thank you.

-Jerek











No comments:

Post a Comment