Wednesday, January 2, 2013

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Sweet, 37 999 999 to go...

On the surface, there should be nothing that bothers me about shark fin soup.
  Like most things I love, it contains a rich chicken stock.  In fact, the recipes I looked at for this even include pork stock, which obviously makes me want to become violent with happiness.  Fundamentally, these are two factors that will make anything taste frickin' tops.  

 So what's not to like, negative Jerek, 2013 version?

The fin part of shark fin soup is what bothers me.

I suppose as a Chef I shouldn't be so bothered by the soup because they use shark and I have a personal love for them, and I'm not. 

I also do not oppose it because it offers no flavor, or that its an overrated product which comes from a prehistoric beast were the meat should be marinated in milk before cooking to extract the piss out of it (really!). I don't.

As a Chef, I am offended by the same reasons everyone else is;


5% yield makes you a douche.

National Geographic conservatively estimates 38 million sharks are killed each year globally just for their fins.  As a side, often the meat is worth less then 10% by weight compared to the fins, so, not being worth its space on the boat, the fin-less shark, still alive, is cast overboard. Not only is this the dickiest thing you can do on a boat, but keep in mind, this is done for a soup used exclusively as a status symbol. 

That is, this is not something used for the greater good like, to cure cancer or do something about my receding hairline... This isn't even eaten because the taste is nip-slip awesome.

No.  

The soup's purpose is to tell people they have lots of money. 


That is a lame reason for 38 million sharks to fatally twitch towards the bottom of the sea yearly. 

Wanna see gore? Watch 15 minutes of Gordon Ramsay trying not to loose it on a fishing boat with dudes hacking away at sharks.




-Jerek



No comments:

Post a Comment