Saturday, December 3, 2016

Basque in the glory - a tale of thievery and deliciousness


Behold; Above is almost everything I love in a dessert recipe. Sweet, warm, textural, simplistic, but with a hint of sophistication in the process to make one feel talented for attempting.   I introduce to you, The My Basque Cake.

I did not discover it, it discovered me.  Or, put another way, all of the following can be considered stolen.  See, basque cake is already a thing as the signature dessert at Bar Isabel in Toronto.  That is where I first had it and where I immediately decided to claim it as my own.  It was that good.  It belonged to me.  Apparently I have loose ethical boundaries.  Fuck it, it's mine.

I needed a solid recipe, so, like any curious and handy man working in solitutude, I used Google Search (Pro tip: When looking up recipes and especially pastry items, avoid using the words 'tip', 'cream', 'crust', and 'pie' if you happen to have delicate sensibilities).

The search for the best recipe was based on two criterial; the ingredient list our server at Bar Isabel divulged when I drunkenly launched my basic decency through a nearby window and threatened his well earned tip,  and which link had the sexist photo.

and this is what the magic that I take credit for discovering (click here)

Boom.  You're welcome.  Go to the link.  This dude did SO MUCH EFFORT and he kills it.  It's a great indepth post on everything you need to do to make the perfect Basque Cake and he did it, he posted it, and I took it, and now I don't have to rewrite and post an entire Basque Cake recipe.

Clearly someone owes that guy at least a beer.

So there you have it.  My Father, an artist of original context, said copying was the best form of flattery.  To Bar Isabel and Jeff from that blog post from 2010, you're welcome.

Jerek







No comments:

Post a Comment